Tolerance, SAY WHAT?!??
For those that read my last blog post, this is going to be very similar. And I'm going to try and prevent this from becoming a rant. By now I'm sure you at least have a passing knowledge of the comments made by Duck Dynasty's Patriarch Phil Robertson and subsequent suspension by the television network A&E. If you haven't read the article the comments in question were in here's a link, If you haven't read it, please do yourself a favor and read it.
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson
Those of you that know me know what a huge DD fan I am. I love the characters and the guys crazy antics but the thing I love the most is the principles and family values that the Robertson family teaches. And I love the fact that the family, as a whole are devout Christians and they are not afraid to say where they stand on that matter. They have been since before the show started. Now, I have 3 issues with the recent controversy regarding Phill.
1. If you read the article Phil did not actually bash gay people. If you watch the show you know he is very direct with his comments. In other words, what he thinks is what he says. When the reporter asked what in his mind was sin, he was paraphrasing 1 Corinthians 6:9 - 11
"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." The way I read it it was simply him paraphrasing, he wasn't comparing people who are gay to beastiality, terrorism or anything else. He was listing things the bible declares sin. Now, could he have chosen his words a little better and been more PC and not talked about that, perhaps. But Phil's mission is to spread the gospel, not be PC. And he is a 67 year old man from the back woods of Louisiana if you don't wanna know what he thinks, don't ask.
2. My second issue is with GQ. You knew going in to the interview that Phil seems to be very blunt, and very direct with his comments. After hearing what he said you as a company have the right, and obligation to "censor" your own magazine. If you thought what he said was offensive, or could potentially offend some of your readers then why did you publish it? If you watch the show you know Phil can talk, so why not,change the subject if you felt you were entering a grey area and talk about other things. I place some of the blame with you, personally.
3. Ok, my third issue. The main reason I am writing this blog. I'm not going to stereotype, judge and say that this just applies to one group. It doesn't. This applies to several groups. If you want "tolerance" and acceptance don't you think you should, in turn, GIVE THE SAME?? In this instance, if the shoe was on the other foot and a famous openly gay person made a statement, something to the effect of "I think being straight is disgusting." Then compared it to something vile, they would be applauded and most likely able to keep their job. They most likely wouldn't get so much as a slap on the wrist. And another thing. Atheist can have a billboard promoting what they believe, but any time a Christian billboard goes up it is considered intolerance, or thought that we're shoving our beliefs down people's throats and most likely the billboard would have to come down. You can cuss, have sex, talk about other religions and kill people in TV shows and music, and that's ok, it's only entertainment but the second you mention God then that's a no no. And the show is usually attacked, and the song generally gets no airplay other than perhaps on a Christian station. People of other religions and lifestyle choices can speak their mind but the second a Christian does they are automatically labeled a "bible thumper" a "biggot" a "radical" "hateful" and "intolerant" . Now, I'm not naive. I know there are extremist groups and Christians, such as Westboro baptist church to name one that give the rest of us a bad rap. But the majority of us, even though we may not agree with your lifestyle that doesn't mean we don't love you. We will love you, be your friend, and be there for you if you need. We won't be rude, or let anyone else bully you. We may occasionally invite you to church, and rest assured, we pray for you daily. But WE LOVE YOU. That's what a true Christian is all about. Love. So my question, I guess, is, why is it ok to be tolerant, and accepting of everybody but Christians? Why can every group other than Christians have free speech? Where, really, is the tolerance here? Or am I, along with a few of my friends, the only ones who see the double standard?

No comments:
Post a Comment