Sunday, November 3, 2013

Greased Pig Moments

Ok, I can tell you're thinking "greased pig moments"? What? This girl is crazy! And I'd have to agree. I am crazy, certifiably so. But allow me to explain before I go any further. Last year I had the honor and privilege to hear Jeanne Mayo speak at Youth For The Nations. She spoke about having fun with your students in one of our leadership sessions. It's been over a year so I don't remember the exact story, I should've written it down, but she had at one point been challenged by a student or group of students to enter a greased pig contest so she referred to remembering having fun as never getting to busy for greased pig moments.  I'm not sure why this particular phrase stuck out to me over her others. Perhaps the thought of Mama Mayo chasing pigs entertains me, perhaps it's that I'm a big kid myself and love nothing more than to have a good time. Whatever the reason it stuck out and I can honestly say I agree 100%. This last 3 weeks has been a whirlwind. There was the state fair, twice. The Kroger associate fall festival and then kid's night out at work as well as Granbury's homecoming game with the girls from work and their kiddos. The camp fire, carving pumpkins and Weatherford's homecoming game with Revive. The trip to Tarleton to get me set for my last 2 semesters at school. Ellie's birthday dinner and movie and babysitting DW. Whew. Just talking about it as well as working 40 hours a week is enough to exhaust anybody. Surprisingly though, it has been an awesome 3 weeks. The amount of fun I've had is insane! From enjoying a whole day to myself to go to the state fair(the 1st time, I went the second time with Mom Dad and Mema), being completely silly with my Revive teens, to just enjoying the company of friends from work and actually getting to spend time with the second family, I have relished every minute. It's so easy to let work or other obligations as well as the stress of ever day life get in the way of having fun. I know, I'm just as guilty of this as everyone else but I truly believe that Jeanne Mayo was right when she said "the fun moments are serious business". Yes, there is a time and a place to play, and a time and a place to be serious but if you constantly stress about work, school, or whatever the case may be then you're never going to be completely happy. There's something to be said about letting your hair down once in awhile. And true, she was talking about being a successful youth minister but I believe that her lesson transcends youth ministry. It's just good, solid advice no matter who you are or what you do. So, remember, "never get too busy for the greased pig moments". 

No comments: