Friday, October 11, 2013

I find it offensive.....

I've been sitting on this one for a while. And I'm going to try and keep this from turning in to a soapbox type rant. However, no promises. But can I just state that I find it offensive.....

I find it offensive that a tv show is told by the editors that they shouldn't say "in Jesus name we pray, amen" in their prayers on the show because it might "offend the Muslims."

I find it offensive that a courthouse is sued because the nativity scene they put out every Christmas is "offensive" to atheists

I find it offensive that in public places it's called a "holiday" tree instead of what it really is. A "Christmas" tree. Or when I'm told I shouldn't say merry Christmas because not everyone celebrates it 

I find it offensive that a restaurant is boycotted because the owner believes in the biblical definition of marriage.

Why? 

Because... 

I don't find it offensive when a Muslim says a prayer. I don't believe in their god but if that's what they believe in so be it. I'll let my actions speak for me and keep praying to my God. And I don't tell you to change your tv shows so why mess with mine? 

I don't find it offensive when an atheist tells me they don't believe in God. Nor do I push the point unless asked, I let my actions speak for me. Words would most likely not make them become a believer anyway. You must be the change you wish to see. 

I don't find it offensive when a Person who is Jewish wishes me a happy Hanukkah and I don't find a menorah offensive. Nor when a person of any other religion wishes me a happymerryblessed whatever they celebrate so why can't I say what I celebrate?

I don't find it offensive when a person tells me they're gay. I don't agree with their lifestyle at all but that doesn't mean I don't love them. And I don't boycott them. I, too simply believe in the biblical definition of marriage. 

America is all about tolerance and inclusion, right? We'll I ask you friends, where's the tolerance and inclusion here? I'm not saying some Christians don't take it too far. I'm not that naive, I know they do. And call me crazy if you will but I believe true Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Not judging or condemning others and shoving a bunch of religious man made rules down people's throats like some Christians do. But people of other religions do the same thing so why is it ok for them?  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've been inspiring me ever since I first met you! Thanks for having a blog sharing your heart. Luv u!!- Aims

Anonymous said...

You believe in the biblical definition of marriage? Like in Deuteronomy 22:28-29 where it says a virgin who is raped must marry her rapist. Do you believe in that type of biblical marriage? There's also places in the bible where it says male slaves must marry female slaves, where widows must marry there brother in law, where female prisoners of war must submit sexually to the male soldiers who take them as spoils of war, and where men can have multiple wives. Are you sure the bible is all that reliable when it comes to who you should or shouldn't marry?

Anonymous said...

2nd comment-
A tv show is told that by the editors because they aren't just trying to cater to Christians. They're trying to appeal to as large of an audience as possible. They'll probably get a bigger audience if they don't insert any sort of religious preference in their show.
As for the courthouse, it seems seems quite unfair that they choose one type of religion to display. Even though there is thousands of religions and there's also the non religious, there's no equal representation. A lawsuit is a bit much, but it should be easy to see why people are offended by that.
Getting offended by a certain usage of words is quite asinine, but feeling offended at other people because they are offended seems even more asinine to me. Holiday tree or Christmas tree, happy holidays or merry Christmas. What does it really matter? They all mean the same thing anyways. Different words can have the same meanings. Also, Christmas started out as a pagan festival and is now celebrated by the majority of people in the US regardless of religion.
Restaurants have the right to refuse service to anyone even because of a person beliefs just as the customers have a right to boycott the restaurant. I don't really see why you would be offended by this, it's an ability allowed to all customers and to all restaurants.
You live in a country that constantly caters to Christians over everyone else. Really, to me, it just seems that you're going out searching for things to get offended by. Perhaps you have some sort of martyr complex?

Anonymous said...

I've known Tiff all of her life, and no, she doesn't have a martyr complex. In fact, she is somebody who has overcome some tremendous obstacles. I don't agree with much of the dogma surrounding Christianity (or any other religion, for that matter), but I do feel that her faith helped carry her through.

P.R> said...

ok here is what i see from the person who posted about the bible quotes.. you dont seem to understand the bible, because you have not fully read it. if you are going to take these passages and post them please read and post what is before them and after them. you pulling passages from the old testament, these are the ways of old and not the new. so some people to this day see it fit to have multiple wives because the bible says they can.the old testaments show of multiple wives, because they wanted to multiply their household and to own more land for name sake.and well as for the wars back then the way to maintain the spoils of war was to take their women and make them their own wives because they were suppose to of purity. and that was the most sacred thing the people back then had and claimed( something we should all get back to today, showing our girls they have to give themselves to every tom dick and harry, only because they said they care or love them)and if you go to any castle or house of royalty today, the servants are to stay with servant and etc. because thats just life hun. these servants dont complain as they are treated well. only an unhappy house of royal makes for an unhappy servant.it does state in the bible that men should not lay with men and women with women. no intercourse with animals and etc. but the bible also states dont not judge others for their actions or beliefs, for they need to be shown the laws as god put for not just man, for gods word is just and should be put first. atheist dont believe in god because they say they need to be able to touch see and feel for themselves that god is real. who are to say they are wrong. all we can do is show they with what we do everyday and the gifts of life and healing's and all miracles are of god not man.we are to go out as Christians and testify by our own merit and stories.i will say everyone celebrates something different whether its Christmas, kwanza, or Hanukkah or what ever.its offensive if we are as Christians not aloud to say Christmas just be cause it has the word Christ in it. all religions have the word god or Christ in their written passages. so get off your stupid soap box. it may not be your god or my god but, i see God every where on earth. the miracles are being told as of this moment.so why cant we say God, if you can say Allah, or whatever you want to call god. so that being said lets move on. but far be see it to the not so smart person who is talking out their behind . tiff bring up allot of awesome stuff. Muslim men believe when you die there will be all these virgins waiting. i mean really. Jewish people have long been persecuted for being gods chosen people.the way i see it is your afraid to know there is more out there for you to know and understand and you dont want to know whats out side your comfort zone. i read allot of different things on different religions, they dont make any sense what so ever, but do i slam it no, because God tells us to respect one another ideas, wishes, doings as we would respect ourselves. i will say i have come to my own conclusion. God is the most wonderful thing we have and the only reason others want to try and take him away is because us who seek him , find happiness, love and peace in him and thru him But this is how i see things. do i care if you find it offensive no, why, because we are all entitled to our own ideas and opinions. we are not suppose to all be exactly alike, we are to be different and work thru our ignorance and intolerance of others, so we make a more people existence on earth.
with the love of my God and Savior, Jesus Christ, Have a blessed day.
these are the thoughts and ideas from P.R.

Anonymous said...

I have fully read the bible, so thanks for the incorrect assumption there. Care to explain to me why the old testaments no longer apply? Jesus states in the bible that he did not come to destroy or abolish the law, but to fulfill. I think that's Matthew 5:17. Or how about Luke 16:17 where it says "But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to become invalid." The bible has many scriptures that support that the old laws are still intact and that they should still be followed. You treat the bible like a buffet, where you only take what you like and enjoy of it. You only follow it until it contradicts or no longer supports your world view.
-"the person who posted about the bible quotes"

Anonymous said...

Yea, its about "tolerance and inclusion" but ya know, maybe it does offend some people. You ever see a town doing muslim prayers? no. Or do you see jewish stuff in the pledge of allegiance? NO. People like you think that all the stuff like this is pointed toward you. The only reason it shows up about YOUR religion, is because christian stuff is everywhere. If we had more muslim prayers and such in schools, then people would gripe about that. It only offends you because christian crap is so prevalent so those that have been silent about it for so long are finally standing up and speaking. You just take it personally because your the one that is having to make changes. If christianity, and god, and the likes thereof, werent included in the first place, then maybe you wouldnt have anything to bitch about.